Sunday, June 20, 2010

Computer III Programming-Week 1

Just five years ago, I didn't really know that much about the Internet. I had no idea about ichat or Facebook, let alone Skype or Google groups. A little while ago, I got a new computer and learned how to use the Internet for social means such as the websites listed above (Facebook, ichat). However, I had no idea about the inner workings/parts of the computer, the typical programs used, or how they really worked. That changed last year when I took Computer II as one of my electives and learned all about these specific topics. However, in all my years of taking computer classes, I hadn't learned anything about programming. I still do not know that much about it, but I am anxious to learn more about this subject in the upcoming weeks of this course. This week, I gained information on how to expand my creativity on the Internet. I found out how to create a blog (on this website), which I had always wanted to do but just didn't know how to do previously. Another thing I learned how to do was make my own Google account. I like that you are able to customize it, make Google searches more specific, and have more access to Google products/services. I also learned how to make cool and entertaining videos online by using Animoto for my intro project. I was able to use my own pictures and pick the design and music to go along with the video. What was surprising to me was how easy it was to gain access to and use these websites. I thought they would cost a lot of money or they would be confusing and tricky. However, both websites were free and went through simple step-by-step processes on how to use them. I also enjoyed commenting on the discussion boards. I thought that they would be awkward at first, but then I realized after a little while that they were just like typical conversations we would have if we were in a classroom. I also like the topics that we talked about such as the Celtics/Lakers debate (GO LAKERS!!!) and the Best/Worst Teachers discussion. I also liked the conversation about downloading/uploading/sharing music being illegal or not. I thought it was interesting to read the sources people brought about to support their opinions. I also like being able to see the preferences/opinions/thoughts that people have on particular subjects, especially in the Lakers/Celtics discussion. Another thing that happened this week was that I became just a little bit more "tech-savvy." I've learned new terms like RSS and wiki, which I had heard before, but had no idea what they meant. The main reason why I decided to take this class was to prevent myself from lying around in my pajamas doing nothing all day. I can still lie around in my pajamas, but I can actually do something productive at the same time. I really like the fact that we can take this course online. This way, we can still maintain our summer schedules and get work done at the same time! So far, I have enjoyed partaking in this class, and I am anxious to learn more about programming and online resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment