Friday, July 16, 2010

Computer III Programming-Week 6-Last week!

So, here is my final blog. Man, 6 weeks went by so fast! Well, really only 5, but as I said in my previous blog, I had to get the work for the last week done in the 5th week. But still, the time went by pretty darn fast! So, for this week, I really had to put my time management to the test to get all of the projects done. I had to do the video game, my portion of the proposal for the Facebook document, and the massive final project. So, when I first got the assignment, I found out that Luka and I would be partners and that the assignment had multiple parts to it. At first, I was overwhelmed by how much work it was. But, I soon got over it and got to work. For the first part, we each had to choose our dream job and make a job prospectus for it. My dream job would be to be a lead in a Broadway musical. The musical I chose to talk about was West Side Story (it's amazing and one of my favorites!). So, at first, I had no idea what a job prospectus was, so I Googled it and looked at templates and examples. Then, once I found out what a job prospectus really was, I got started on mine. At first, I didn't really know where to start. But then, I got out my West Side Story playbill and looked up aspects of the musical online, which helped me eventually get all the answers that I needed. After that, we had to make a résumé. That took a while because at first I had made it too long and had included some unnecessary information. So, I had to condense the size of it, but also make sure that I included everything that needed to be stated (which was a bit challenging). Afterwards, we had to make sample questions to prepare for interviewing each other for our dream jobs. We did so by using each other's résumés and job prospectuses. That took a little while because I tried to come up with thoughtful questions and a large amount of them so I wouldn't run out when I was interviewing Luka. When it was finally time to interview each other, I was nervous but interested in how interviews work since it would be beneficial to know in future. But then, as we did the interview, it turned out to be totally fine and that I had nothing to worry about. We did the interview over Skype and had to record it. It was just kind of difficult to find a recording device, but, we just ended up using GarageBand (which worked perfectly fine). This week, the work wasn't extremely hard, it was just very time-consuming. So, this week, I learned how to make a job prospectus, résumé, questions for an interview, and how to give an interview. I think what really prevented me from learning more was my time constraints. I did 3 projects in 6 days, which was a lot of hard work, but paid off in the end. Most of the things I tried worked well; nothing didn't really. I think over the course of the project, I changed by means of having knowledge of how to apply for jobs and how to be interviewed for them in the business world (and vice-versa-how to send out job prospectuses and give interviews-). I believe my thinking and learning changed by becoming better with time management. I know I've said this repeatedly, but time management was key this week for me to get everything done. I think over the weeks of this course, I learned more about programming than I ever thought I would. I really enjoyed taking this class and see you all at the end of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment